Who may use the Dag Hammarskjöld Library?
People with a valid UN Headquarters grounds pass may use the Library, including:
- UN Secretariat
- Permanent Missions to the UN
- Specialized agencies
- Accredited media
- Accredited NGOs
The Library is not open to the general public. The vast majority of recent UN documentation is available to everyone electronically. Members of the public are invited to visit UN depository libraries located worldwide, if they are in need of documentation in hard copy.
To external researchers, we recommend research using the following sources:
- UN Depository Libraries: accessible free-of-charge to the public
- UN Official Document System (ODS): full-text database of UN documents from 1993; older documents added on a daily basis
- UNBISnet: the Library's online catalogue
- Yearbook of the United Nations
If you feel that, after using these resources, you have not been able to access all necessary materials for your research, please contact us for further assistance and guidance.
In addition, you may also wish to contact the UN Archives for unpublished records, which are not accessible from the Library.